Saturday, January 12, 2013

Our plane has landed...and here we must stay.


So many many things going through my mind these last couple days.  Life is so crazy and always has a way of shaking you up a bit. I've been going back and forth about lots of things and am still pretty raw and fragile when it comes to this. I guess it's just hard to except some things that happen. All we can do is embrace the change and move forward, even now when so many things are uncertain.  And so a new adventure starts for us. On Thursday we found out that our little precious Liam has Fragile X. For those of you who do not know, Fragile X is the most common form of inherited intellectual disability in boys. Phew, Okay, I got it out.  It's going to take some getting used to saying that.  My son has a disability. My heart aches every time I say it. 

They drew my blood at the genetics office because the doctor is quite certain that I passed the gene to Liam.  Another crushing blow.  The fact that I can pass this gene to future children if we decide to have them...BAM...and another crushing blow! 

Questions, questions..like...when will Liam talk? Will he talk? Will Liam play sports? Will Liam have a family of his own? These are all unknown. 

We are not sure what God has in store for Liam.  Liam will have all the therapy and love he needs to live a very happy childhood. Liam has a mommy and daddy who love him dearly and grandmas and papas and aunties who love him too. We know we will all face challenges but what else is there to do but lean fully on God. He knew our Liam before he was even born. 

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
 Psalm 139: 13-16 

Words of encouragement from one of my favorite chapters in the Bible. 

Now I am focusing on learning everything I can about Fragile X and getting plugged into communities to get that extra support that I know we will need. 

Never in a million years did I ever see this as part of mine and John's and Liam's life.  But, we are a family...a happy family. Life has thrown us a curve ball but gosh we sure do have  a lot to be grateful for.  

Most of all, I'm grateful for the never ending, never changing love of Jesus. 

I'll leave you for now with some pictures of our angel and a song.



















1 comment:

  1. Isaiah 55:12 You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.

    Lindsey, I have been honored to teach many many kids of children in my professional life... and i PROMISE you this is a calling for the the three of you. HE chose you three to inspire,encourage, educate, and support others.

    ReplyDelete