Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Delish Breakfast

Look what I had for breakfast this morning. 

If you don't read or buy the magazine Good and Fresh I would start.  They have so many delicious and healthy recipes.  Like this one I made this morning.  

3 Grain Pancakes with Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce.  
Okay, I have never in my life bought rhubarb.  I had to Google rhubarb so I could see what it looked like to locate it in the grocery store.  Sad, I know.  Whatevs. The point is is that this dish was delish! 

Check it out. 

You will need:

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup quick cooking rolling oats
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup fat free milk (I used almond milk)
2 tablespoons canola oil
Nonstick cooking spray
3 cups fresh strawberries
1 cup sliced rhubarb
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

 Look at all them purdy ingredients. 

I always get all the ingredients out before starting and as I use them I put them away.  Makes cleanup easier. 

1. In a medium bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.

2. In a small bowl whisk together egg, milk, and oil. Add the egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).

3. Lightly coat an unheated skillet or griddle with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat. For each pancake, pour a scant 1/4 cup of the batter to the skillet. Spread to 3 - 3 1/2 inch circle. Cook over medium heat for 2 to 4 minutes or until pancakes are golden brown, turning to second sides when pancakes have bubbly surfaces and slightly dry edges. 

4.  Meanwhile, for sauce, in a blender or food processor combine 2 cups of the strawberries, the rhubarb, granulated sugar and vanilla. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan; heat until warm. Quarter the remaining 1 cup strawberries. Serve pancakes with sauce and quartered strawberries.

I didn't quarter strawberries this time around but the sauce is yummo!!

Makes 6 (2 pancake) servings.
Per serving: 212 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 32 mg chol., 191 mg sodium, 34 g carbs, (13 g sugar), 4g fiber, 6g protein.

The delish sauce!

Okay, so my presentation isn't the best but they taste really good.

See..that's how good they are. My 2 pancakes gone.  
Since there are so many servings I put the remains in the fridge.  I'm heating them up in the morning. 
Let me know if you try them.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment